Monday, July 5, 2010

Out and about

Ok, firstly I have to tell you that I'm really peeved with myself..... I havn't paid attention to my darling husband. He is always banging on about backing up our data on our computers. Wish I'd paid more attention. Because last week, my old brick of a laptop died. I thought I was reasonably safe. I thought I was only going to be missing maybe a couple of months worth of data and photos, but upon deeper investigation, it's worse than I thought. Damn! So I now have the option of trying to get someone to retrieve the data from the old hard drive. At around $200, I might just have to take the plunge and hope some of my photos can be saved. So lesson number one people...... BACK UP YOUR DATA REGULARLY!

On the bright side, I have a new laptop. It's a black shiny thing with a nice big screen. There's more grunt under the hood than my old one. It's like learning to drive a new car. Some of the software on this thing is much newer than the old. So it all looks a little different.

Ok, what have we been up to lately? We're enjoying showing Melbourne off to our new family. So our first excursion was to Chapel Street in South Yarra. It's a street known for it's fashionable shops and trendy cafes.

This is Chapel Str. It runs for about 2 kms. There's a fashionable end and then there's the grungy end. Op shops and the Wesley Mission. Character overload in this street.

Even the dogs are fashionable. Isn't this too cute!


Stephen, Sara & Sonja

Last Friday evening Sara and I went to my friend Sue's place for a jewellery party. Sue's hubby Greg is really clever with words. He wrote this lovely poem on their kitchen notice board.

Here's a pic of the spire at the Arts Centre in Melbourne on Saturday night. We drove Sara, Stephen and Simone into the city. It's like our own little Eifel Tower!

And to finish the weekend , I made a batch of scones yesterday. Now this is the easiest recipe in the world. I got it from a friend who lives on a property in the Western District of Victoria. So thanks Prue!
Here's the recipe:
Self raising flour
Pinch of salt
Pouring cream

Before you begin, place the baking tray into the oven. Turn the oven onto high. (around 220deg)

About 2 cups of flour into a bowl
Add a pinch of salt
Pour in about a 300mls of cream

Use a knife and cut the cream into the flour until a stiff dough forms.
Use your hands and turn the blob onto a bench.
Gently bring all the dough together and pat it so you have a slab of dough about 3 to 4cm high
Using a scone cutter, cut your scones.

Remove the tray from the oven (use gloves!) and run a little butter over the hot tray.
Then quickly place the scones onto the tray.
Pop them into the oven for around 12 to 15 mins

Serve with jam and cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment