Tuesday, October 26, 2010

R.I.P. Wynand - South Africa

It was with great shock and sadness that we learned of the passing away of my youngest brother Wynand on the 14th of October. Wynand was only 37 years old. He was much loved by all who knew him. We will miss him terribly. He is going to make an awsome angel!


So my brother Lionel and I hopped on a plane to make the sad trip back to South Africa. We flew into Jhb and transferred directly to Durban where the funeral was to be held.

I stayed with my Mum at Wynand's apartment right next to the sea. What a view! No wonder he was enjoying his life in Durban. 

Lionel and I managed to catch up with our family and in between the sadness, we did manage to have a few good laughs. We visited my Dad and step Mum at their new place. Boy, just look at that security! 

Seatbelt rules are very casual to say the least in South Africa. No proper car seats for little ones. My little nephew Seth wanted to sit with his Uncle Lionel. No problem.

Lunch with my Dad and my little sister, Vanessa. 

You know you're in Africa! 

Lionel and three of the gang. Leshae, Seth and Cadibree 

Dinner.... Bunny Chow. A wonderful Durban Indian invension. Half a loaf of bread hollowed out and filled with a delicious (hot!!) lamb curry. Served with a packet of pickled carrot. 

I just LOVE the Indian spice shops in Durban. Here's my Mum and my sister Belinda. Pity the Aussie customs are so strict! Spices are bought by the weight. 

What wonderful colours!

The new South Africa has created many new job opportunities..... For instance, I think that being able to buy an ice cold coke while sitting in the hot afternoon traffic is simple genius!  

My Mum Marie and my Sister Vanessa. 

The wake in honour of Wynand. Here his friends and boss are remembering him with a shot or two! 

My trip was only 4 days. I wish I could have stayed a bit longer. Next time. But my best friend Donny and her sister Lois came to the airport and we had a coffee together. It was sooo good to see them! 

And finally, on our way home, Lionel treated himself to a shoe shine at the new King Shaka airport in Durban.  

I visited South Africa last year and I didn't think I'd be back quite so soon. Even tho' it was for a sad reason, I'm glad I went. And hopefully we'll be able to go back again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hugs to you all. Such sad news - way too young to go.
    Hang on tight to your memories, the pain will ease eventually.

    ReplyDelete